Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A show of patriotism

This is the 30th year for the Signature Symphony to present "4th on the 3rd."
July 4 is literally my favorite holiday. It combines my favorite season, summer, with swimming, eating watermelon, drinking lemonade and visiting family and friends. But these activities don't necessarily make me feel patriotic. With a nephew in the Air Force, I wish there were something more I could do to let him know how much I appreciate his sacrifices.

Jeff Smith, a violist with the Signature Symphony at TCC, will show his appreciation to his dad, who is a highly decorated World War II veteran, through a musical tribute. Jeff will play for his dad Sunday, July 3 at the VanTrease PACE in the Signature Symphony's 30th annual "4th on the 3rd" concert.

Jeff wrote the piece, "Thunderbird," specifically for his dad who piloted 96 missions in World War II and The Korean War.

I can't imagine how rewarding it must be for Jeff to have this opportunity. Likewise, I can't begin to know how Jeff's dad will feel hearing his son play in his honor.

This piece, along with music that recognizes the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War, is sure to stir patriotic feelings. So if you are looking for a way to say "thank you," treat a veteran or a service man or woman to this moving concert.

4th on the 3rd; 7:30 p.m. Sunday; VanTrease PACE on TCC Southeast Campus

No comments:

Post a Comment