Tuesday, December 20, 2011

To gift or not to gift: That is the question

Every year, I struggle with whom to buy for and whom not to buy for. For years, my husband and I didn't buy gifts for each other because we bought for our parents, nieces and nephews. Even though we now have a child of our own, we have continued to buy for everyone but ourselves for years. I say, "No more."

When I was a child, I barely got presents from my grandparents, much less aunts or uncles. My grandparents had so many grandchildren that we usually got something from a garage sale or a pair of socks. Why, then, is our generation expected to give extravagant gifts to nieces and nephews? I can see wanting to buy stuff for them when they are young and you don't have children yourself, but when they get around 10 and you have children of our own, I think we should be done. I'm done.

And, like most of you, I am going to college. Need I say more on that subject?

In lieu of buying for nieces and nephews, of which I have 12, I am spending my hard-earned cash on my parents, my precious daughter and husband. These are the people I should be spending my money on, right?

For this holiday season, I say give to the ones closest to you. If you don't have an extra $600 or so lying around to spend on a dozen nieces and nephews, be comfortable with your decision. So when your sister-in-law asks "Was this present for little Jimmy from you?", you won't feel guilty in replying, "No, we just bought for our immediate family this year." If they are rational, they will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment