Thursday, July 7, 2011

MathPath: Remember what you forgot before you forget to remember it

I don't know about you, but when I look at math problems, even problems that 10-year-olds are working, I immediately realize how much I have forgotten in the 16 years since I took College Algebra. I got an A in that class in 1995, but today I can barely add two plus two without using a calculator.

Come to find out, I am not alone. Tons of people who come to college, especially those who have sat out of school for a while, forget math skills. Many of them are surprised that even though they made A's in high school math, they come to TCC and have to take zero-credit math classes because of the skills they've lost. And sometimes, students must take multiple zero-credit math classes before they can enroll in a three-credit math class. That's right: These are classes that students are required to take that don't count toward a degree or certificate.

The math faculty at TCC have come up with a way to reduce or eliminate the need to take these zero-credit classes in order to save students time and money. They are offering a continuing education class this summer that is a math prep class called MathPath. By reviewing math skills with students before they take the math placement test, students are more likely to be ready to take a math credit class, such as College Algebra.

Saving time and money? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this is a good thing.
Info: 918-595-7742

No comments:

Post a Comment