Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Temple Grandin, namesake of HBO movie, to speak at TCC

Claire Danes and Temple Grandin (January 25, 2010 - Photo by Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images North America)

 I was channel surfing at home on Friday when I came upon a movie that was just starting on HBO. The movie  "Temple Grandin" immediately got my attention. I had never heard of it, but I was fascinated as I watched the story unfold. I'll let you watch the trailer for yourself, but let me just share that it is an amazing story based on the real-life events of Temple Grandin, a woman with autism who has heavily influenced animal husbandry.

Fastforward to Monday. I couldn't believe what I saw: a flier promoting the speaking engagement of the Temple Grandin. Not Claire Danes, the actress who played Temple in the movie, but the real Dr. Temple Grandin. She will speak about "Animals, Autism, and Visual Thinking" at the TCC VanTrease PACE on March 6. Proceeds from this fundraiser will benefit the Dr. Jan Weaver Veterinary Technology Scholarship, which provides funds to students in the TCC Veterinary Technology Program.

Grandin's life is fascinating. She didn't speak until she was 4 years old, and now she holds a doctorate degree. She never let autism limit her. If you have the opportunity, watch the movie and come hear the inspiring words from this fearless woman.

7 p.m. March 6
VanTrease Performing Arts Center for Education
Adults: $25
Students: $10
For tickets: 918-595-7777 or http://www.myticketoffice.com




No comments:

Post a Comment