Monday, November 28, 2011

One more thing on your plate means one more thing on theirs

As things are winding down this semester, I am doing everything I can just to keep up with school, work and family (as I'm sure you are, too). It seems difficult to imagine putting anything else on my plate. But people across TCC are taking on extra responsibilities to make sure those less fortunate have something on their plates by collecting and buying food for those less fortunate.

Don't get me wrong. When my department said "Let's adopt two children from the Salvation Army Angel Tree," I was eager to buy the 5-year-old girl a pair of Sketchers Twinkle Toes. But that didn't take a lot of effort or time. And, I was happy to do it. I could just imagine the look on that little girl's face on Christmas morning when she opens a pair of the coveted Twinkle Toes tennis shoes. Precious!

But my department isn't the only one. Some students and TCC employees have collected literally thousands of pounds of food (Yes, I'm talking about you Phi Beta Lambda at TCC's West Campus!) And, they have donated toys to give to children who have been treated at one of the Shriners Hospitals for Children (I'm taking that photo Thursday!). And there are probably a dozen other similar stories out there.

To all of the givers, I say "Way to go!" Even though money is tight this time of year and many are without jobs, it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that so many people are thinking of others this time of year. If you have the chance to give to someone, even if it is as simple as putting an extra can of corn in your shopping basket and dropping it off in a food donation box, do it. Those little things add up, and they take very little time and effort when everyone pitches in.

No comments:

Post a Comment